Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Making it while Making Up...

The dream of becoming a professional makeup artist is becoming much more prevalent these days. Many people see all the glitz and glam, and think it's all about playing around with glitters and gloss. Then, BAM you're making the big bucks! Not so fast my friend!
Let me tell you, you can get there, but you're going to have to work hard. Starting out is difficult, there is a lot of dirty work, and those big bucks will seem miles away. I am still on my way, but have accomplished a lot in a small amount of time. I have some tips for you ambitious artists, hopefully they will help you on your way to stardom!

1. Education:
a.
There are many options when looking for a school. There are workshops that run from a couple days to a couple weeks (which is what I did), and there are those that are a bigger commitment that are generally a couple months or so. I completely recommend both, it depends on how much knowledge you are starting with. If you're already pretty good but want to refine those skills then the workshops may be good for you. But if you are starting from scratch then I highly recommend the more thorough schooling. You won't want to leave any area of makeup out. The more you know, the more jobs you can book, hence more money$$!

b.If you are in Florida I recommend The International Makeup Career Center, by The Make Up Store. I freelance for them and the products are amazing! You can check them out at www.makeupstoreusa.com
Research online and you will find that there are many options close to where ever you may be located.

c. Take the time to learn about hair as well! I have learned by experience at this point, but I wish I had done some schooling in the beginning. It would have made my life easier and made me more marketable. On the bigger shoots there will most likely be a hair stylist and a makeup artist. But in general you will be expected to do both.

2.Start Calling Yourself a Makeup Artist!

a.
Get yourself some business cards! You don't have to make them all fancy. Just make sure you have your name, number, email, and of course have it state that you are a makeup artist. Pass these around as much as you can!

b. The second you have the skills start marketing yourself. This business is all about self promotion. When you are starting out you have to hustle. There will be a lot of foot work involved. Going around to agencies and offering free testing, and hitting up fashion events is crucial. Keep in mind that your appearance is also important. If you want people to trust you with their looks, you can't be looking a mess!!

3. Build your book and your resume!


a.
Once you have met up with the agencies and photographers you can start 'testing'. This is when you set up photo shoots that benefit everyone's portfolios. At first you may be asked to do this for free to prove yourself. But you may want to set a limit, like I will do three free shoots then you have to start paying me $75 per girl. Or whatever you think is fair. Eventually that rate can go up, but that comes with experience. You don't want to over price or under price yourself.

b.
Assist successful makeup artists. This is where I have learned the most. You will learn more about 'set etiquette' and tricks of the trade. The more you assist the more people in the industry will start recognizing and trusting you.

c.Like I said in the modeling post, promoting yourself online is also beneficial. Set up a myspace page for your makeup work, go on modelmayhem.com, etc. But again, BE VERY CAREFUL of who you meet up with!


I hope that these starting out tips are helpful to you. From here you just have to keep pushing yourself to get out there. Read a lot of magazines to keep current on trends, and practice them all the time to stay inspired. Don't let anything get in the way of your dreams! Sometimes you may feel discouraged, I know I have, but just remember that this is makeup not brain surgery! Have fun!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i was wondering where i could go to learn in miami because everything is in california and i dont want to go somewhere like beauty schools of america because it dosent seem every specialized in just make up but more spa and cosmix is too expensive and i heard its not that great... i want to do the type of make up that i see in your portfolio... any suggestions